Tuesday, September 18, 2012

I am now trained to take a train and I put my training to good use and rode some trains

I set out on Sunday to get to the Matterhorn.  This was my third attempt.  I'd like to say that the third  time was a charm, but it was half a charm.  I'll explain.

It's a four-hour trip by train to get to Zermatt, the city located in the area of the Matterhorn. The legendary Alp mountain is actually a lesser mountain by Swiss standards, but it is huge by American standards--due largely to Walt Disney for featuring its distinctive shape in Disneyland.Think of all the trips have we driven over to Anaheim to keep a look out for the landmark that means you've arrived--the Matterhorn--as it sits hanging out over the freeway.


The elusive REAL Matterhorn is located in the south of Switzerland, very close to the Italian border. It's not like it's in a spot I was likely to hit in passing, as I was headed to some other location.  No....I had to go TO the Matterhorn.  A pointed direction.  :)


I left my apartment at 7 a.m. to begin the journey.  That should have given me a few hours to see all the sights in the vicinity and then get home by night. But....there was a small addition to the itinerary today.  It made my trip to the Matterhorn end much sooner than would have been optimal.




Meanwhile....a factor appears to alter plans

There is an English speaking theatre group in Basel and they have a production opening this week.  They asked on Facebook for volunteers to come and help do the makeup for the show. Seems like they need several makeup people so I sent an email and told them my days of availability.  I had tonight on the list and they wrote me back asking for tonight.  Email arrives, now I am....Double booked.


As I am riding up the side of the mountain to get to all the observation things there are to do at the Matterhorn, I snap this pic.  It's the first view of the peak--just like arriving at Disneyland.

First view of the Matterhorn

I calculate the time frame in order to get back to Basel in time to work on the tech crew for the dress rehearsal.  I realize as I see how slowly the tram is going up the track that there won't be enough time to get to the top and get back to the bottom and still be able to get on board the trains that will take me to Basel and that volunteering commitment I made.

I exit the tram going up the hill at the very next stop and get right back on the tram which is heading down the hill.  I waved to the Matterhorn as I made my way onward.  Maybe I will get back and do the thing right.  I certainly have some available days on my docket.


Bye bye, Matterhorn, catchya later!

More new friends (let me backtrack for a moment)


Matterhorn Day was a very clear and beautiful day.  That means EVERYONE was out enjoying it in the whole country--plus tourists.  Additionally, it's Sunday.  The Swiss get out on Sunday to see their country.  Their families are out doing family things.

The last leg of my journey headed toward the Matterhorn lasted about an hour and the train was PACKED.  There was standing room only.  Literally.  People were standing two-deep in the aisles on every car in 2nd class. They rode that way for about 1.5 hours. Today I was most happy that I had purchased the 1st class Swiss Pass.  The seats were all full in 1st class, but at least I managed to find a seat.
And no one was standing in the aisles.

There were four seats facing each other--two sets of two--in the train car.  Two women around my age were in the window seats and I asked if one of the other seats were free. That began the usual exchange, "Do you speak English?"  whereupon I met Brigitta and Madelaine.  We laughed and talked and they brought drinks and a seasoned salami type of meat to enjoy on the ride--obviously making sure to include me in their party.  It was another example of really fun Swiss native citizens I have met.

Brigitta (pronounced Bridget) and Madelaine.
 



Both women are in transition at the moment--moving residences--but in the middle of October we have a plan to meet again for dinner and conversation.  Brigitta is recently divorced and Madelaine  is recently returned from a 3-month stay in Madrid.  They first met in grade school and have been friends ever since.  


They invited me to come with them on their walk along the water through "fairy tale land" as described by Brigitta whose  aunt has a house in the area so she knew it well. I declined since this was my "Matterhorn Day."  We have a plan to meet in the middle of October.

Brigitta told me about a few things to see from the train window that I would never have known if I hadn't met her and Madelaine.

 She said that on this vertical, impossible to reach hillside, there are wild blueberries growing in the grassy areas.  The birds and ants get to enjoy them.




She also pointed out that the roof material on this house and most of the houses in the area is made from thinly cut rock from the quarry in the area.  

She pointed out several houses that were built right next to or right on big rocks.  (My photos didn't turn out.)  The reason for that was to receive coverage or fortification when there was an avalanche.


We came across this field of sheep and there were the cutest baby sheeps.  Two sets of two with the mothers.  Look closely.



Last, but not least, I found this lovely pizzeria and ordered a calzone.  I know many of you are always wanting to know what delights I am finding to fill my tummy with.  









The theatre crowd Switzerland style

After I left my shortened Matterhorn experience, I arrived in Basel and found the theatre with little trouble. The theatre space is a lovely little theatre that is reminiscent of The Black Box Theatre where I have performed in Casa Grande.

I met up with the head of the makeup crew and we took notes as we watched the dress rehearsal.  It was so exciting to be among theatre types.  I haven't met them all, but I will as the production progresses.

A member of the makeup crew invited me to spend one of the nights at her house just over the border in France so I wouldn't have to travel the hour-long journey home after the show.  I think I will take her up on that. That means.....I'm going to France!!! 

I'll keep you posted on that.  More pictures to come.  I didn't take any that night because my phone battery was almost dead.  

One more trip to talk about HERE....not while THERE, that's for sure--no talking allowed


Today, MONDAY 17 Sep., was a long day.  Today, I spent the WHOLE day on trains.  And what's worse than that?  I plan to do it at least one more time.  I gotta be brain damaged.

So I left my apartment at 8 a.m. and traveled 2.5 hours to catch the special panoramic Glacier Express.  It travels across the lower part of CH through the alps for almost six hours. They jokingly call it the slowest express train in CH.  It pokes along at less than 25 mph in some parts since it is climbing steep inclines.  Half way through the trip they even switch out the train engine for one that has the cog wheel capabilities since that is the only way to negotiate the alp terrain.  The sides and ceiling on the express are all windows.  Panoramic view, get it?


Reservations are required and al seats are booked, even this time of year.  And today was a glorious, clear blue sky day.  Perfect weather.  Not too hot, not too chilly.  No impediments to a perfect experience.


Except for one.  One impediment.


I am a lone traveler, that is true.  When my seat is booked, I am usually sitting within an established group or on the edge of a group.  This group I was smack in the middle of today was no picnic.  My friend Joe told me that I would not enjoy coming to CH since the people were a cold Germanic people who don't like strangers coming among them--like some people in AZ feel toward the snowbirds.  He was right today.  (I am happy to affirm that this is the ONLY time in over a month's time that he got it right about the people.)


I was in a set of four facing seats and I had a window seat.  In the three other seats were two men and a woman.  They were already seated when I got there, but the seats were assigned so they knew whose seat was whose.  I walked up and smiled, pointed to the empty window seat, and said, "That's my seat.  Hello.  Do you speak English?"  The woman looked at me and snapped, "No!"  The two men didn't say much, which was a little odd, I thought. (Later on it came out the men could speak English and handed me a menu, informational flyers, told me about the listening earphones and that English was channel 2.) 


So I took this picture of the three of them, pretending that I was taking a picture of the cabin of the train.  They weren't happy, but what could they say?  They don't speak English, remember???  LOL


Long story short, they were Germans from Germany and I spent the next almost six hours in silence.  No conversation.  Wedged between cold strangers and a cold window glass.  lol  But the scenery was why I was taking the train in the first place so I just focused out the window.  They were a little cool to each other, IMHO.  The man, whom I thought was the woman's husband, ordered a plate of cheeses, cold meats, pickles, olives, etc. and didn't even offer his wife a bite.  He sat and ate the entire plate without an offer to his buddy either.  Neither of the other two ordered a plate of anything.  Odd.



The scenery was beautiful.  I didn't see one single thing that wasn't interesting or beautiful, mostly the latter.  The reason I may repeat this trip is because I am lucky to be in CH when the weather will change and become autumn.  I hear the leaves turning is spectacular, so I may take this panoramic express later on in October.



This is a portion of the vineyards in southern CH.  The blue netting is to keep birds, etc., from eating the grapes.

Once the Glacier Express dropped us off at the final destination, I had a four-hour train ride home.  That's a lot of riding.  



If I wasn't on a train today, I was sitting and waiting to catch my next train.  LOL






 

No comments:

Post a Comment